Friday, August 6, 2010

Prayer

Prayer - - It works.

I love the rosary... wow, never thought I'd say that 11 years ago!! I grew up non-denominational Christian - my Dad was - originally - Methodist, and my Mom Baptist *I think*, so my brother sister and I were taken to a regular montage of different churches growing up... there was one year when Dad took us to a new church every Sunday... we went to an all-black church one weekend - man was THAT weird going to Sunday School and being the only white face in the room - or more likely RED face, cause I certainly didn't want to be there any more than they wanted me there!! But anyway, despite the -weird- Christian upbringing, I was always taught that prayer works... and that you needn't be on your knees, or formal, or anything... but I have to say I LOVE the Rosary! on my knees or not (more often on and off, as I am almost always preggers or have a babe-in-arms), the prayers in the rosary lead you into proper thoughts and feelings toward prayer and God... you don't sit there whining about your life or begging for something you want or desire, or speaking disrespectfully to the One that deserves nothing BUT respect... no, the Rosary allows you to think about God... the crucifix REMINDS you each time you look at it to whom you are praying... and to whom you are making a request- if applicable. The physical rosary is a tangible thing to hold onto to remind you that prayer is not entirely for you, but also for GOD. The beads are a comfort to my fingers... and to my soul...

I have fallen in and out of regular prayer over the years - I have to admit that I only prayed as a child when I wanted something - never really in gratitude for what had been given, or what was to be offered in the future.. The Daily Rosary reminds me to Thank HIM for his many gifts as well as for the many things He does that I am completely unaware of... so I'll say it publicly too... Thank You God the Father, God the Son, & God the Holy Spirit, for everything! :)

so, to make this post more succinct:

I AM CATHOLIC, and I pray the Rosary!

1 comments:

Fox said...

In Orthodox Russia, the Rosary prays you!